Tuesday, 31 January 2017

Springtails - that escalated quickly

If you'd asked me what group would turn out to be the biggest surprise of the year I wouldn't have said, "Springtails - I'm going to record a shed load of springtails". But one thing led to another and here I am with 8 on my list already at the close of January, and none unidentified! I should jack it in with weevils on that basis (although I'm "2 for 2" on weevils to be fair).

The latest addition is Hypogastrura manubrialis, which I had photographed and ID'd but wanted confirmation on. It was kind of gazumped by the importance of the Anurida,but it was my first springtail I cleared and examined under the compound. Now I've got the bug though I've a feeling I'll just carry on.

Hypogastrura manubrialis
Two views and a clearing specimen

Claw, furca and anal spines
The list so far
Anurida denisi
Dicyrtomina saundersi
Entomobrya intermedia
Entomobrya nivalis
Hypogastrura manubrialis
Orchesella cincta
Orchesella villosa
Pogonognathellus longicornis  

No comments:

Post a Comment