Friday, 31 March 2017

Myrmica lobicornis

I'm pretty sure this ant is the above species. It's noted as being a coastal species in the county and I found it on the coast. I found it difficult to get good photos online from my phone last night but I'll have another run at it today. This area on the bend of the scape narrows it down to only a narrow field of possibilities though, so I'll keep digging.

Edit: further digging reveals that the species is noted as coastal in Fife and that workers often slowly forage alone on the ground. It's a heath species. This was taken alone on coastal heath foraging slowly on the ground so that's all good. Pictures found of the various species ivolved also served to make me feel happier that the determination is alright, so I'll record it until told otherwise.




No comments:

Post a Comment