Wednesday, 31 May 2017

Bullseye cranefly

About five minutes after I hit the woods yesterday lunchtime it started raining, which didn't do my sweeping activities any favours. I did manage to score a couple of craneflies though. The first, a big orange lout, was Tipula lunata, a more-or-less routine species but nice to have on my growing cranefly list. The second, as I peered into my net, was a thing the likes of which I had never seen before. Things the likes of which I've never seen before often turn out to be ubiquitous, so I was prepared for that. Back at work I googled "eye wing cranfely" or something and up came Epiphragma. Looked good. And it's on the Fife list of course ... oh, no - it isn't. Maybe it's something else then (but surely not...)

Back at home and it turns out it really was Epiphragma (ocellare - the only one), so not only a cracking fly, but a new county record.I checked the distribution of it on NBN this morning. Very weird! A ubiquitous fly in England and Wales and one record per county in Scotland. Clearly recorder distribution at play but a severe case!


A link to some nicer pictures as it was in the field: link

That distribution:


Only two additions:
625 Tipula lunata A Cranefly
626 Epiphragma ocellare A Cranefly

No comments:

Post a Comment