Friday, 19 May 2017

Come into my larder

A decent day of additions yesterday and my stock was still bigger at the end than at the beginning

A fairly routine spider swept out of the grass and a nice new fly for me means there are only two Calliphoridae on the county list which I havne't seen. As usual this may not be such an achievement as one might suppose with a family county fauna of 11 species. I do love the calypterates though, so a new Pollenia (amentaria) is a good day. Xysticus cristatus was the spider in question. Common-ness aside it's still quite a handsome spider.

Continuing to throw my arms around ecology I visited the gorse where I knew Cydia ulicetana (the Grey Gorse Piercer!) was likely to be in abundance, since it is just along the coast. It was, with individuals flitting around all over the tops of the gorse..


Black abdomen, no stripes
 



Numbers:

569 Tipula oleracea A cranefly
570 Medicago lupulina Black Medick
571 Sagina procumbens Procumbent Pearlwort
572 Sylvia borin Garden Warbler
573 Philaenus spumarius Cuckoo-Spit Insect
574 Cydia ulicetana Grey Gorse Piercer 
575 Alopecurus pratensis Meadow Foxtail
576 Xysticus cristatus A spider
577 Pollenia amentaria A cluster fly

No comments:

Post a Comment