Thursday, 11 May 2017

Moving on swiftly


A good day yesterday with a nice group of additions. A water trap finally caught a jumping spider (Heliophanus cupreus) which I think may be my fly-stalking friend from the other day, or at least a representative of the species. I'll have a look at that pic and see whether it can be discerned with hindsight. Probably not, I suspect. Along with it was the Gastrophysa, somewhat the worse for wear, but I have no idea why that would be the case.

Heliophanus cupreus

Lunchtime also provided some sport along the sunny and sheltered hedge which is becoming a favourite haunt, providing the kind of wind free warmth beloved of so many insects. The Beris was there - second soldierfly of the campaign, while the broom there was full of pea aphids.



Late in the day I ventured out to pick up some leaf/pine litter for a myco session this evening, and took a swish at some ground vegetation along the way. A good return on investment as the Cantharis and the mirid bug Liocoris tripustulatus were in the one swipe.


Then home to crack open my new Duff Vol 1 and key out a Catops that's been staring at me since February. 10 minutes later, job done!

All very satisfying

Numbers bit:
542 Bibio marci St Marks Fly
543 Beris chalybata Murky-legged Black Legionnaire
544 Acyrthosiphon pisum Pea aphid
545 Cantharis decipiens A soldier beetle
546 Liocoris tripustulatus A mirid bug
547 Heliophanus cupreus A jumping spider
548 Gastrophysa polygoni A leaf beetle
549 Catops nigricans A beetle

No comments:

Post a Comment